FAQs: Racing


How do I obtain an Owner/Trainer license in Florida?


Owner/Trainer licenses are handled by the State of Florida's Department of Business & Professional Regulation, Pari-mutual Licensing Section. They can be contacted at:

Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering

1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1035

(850)  488-3211
      (850) 488-0550

DBPR has a website where you can download the license form, but you will still have to get your fingerprints submitted before you license will be complete. The website is


Where do I mail my owner/trainer license?


Licenses' may be submitted at Hialeah Race Park during the race meet or at anytime throughout the year they can be mailed to the following address:

Department of Business & Professional Regulation
Division of Pari-mutual Licensing
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1037


Do I need to get Insurance and/or Workman's Comp?


All Trainers are required to have Workman's Comp for their employees. Trainers or Owners who have no employees need to show proof of a major medical policy. They donít have to have Workman's Comp. It is the employees that need Workman's Comp. Jockeys and exercise boys, who work as independent agents donít have to have Workman's Comp because they are not employees. Hialeah has a medical policy for these people.